Sunday, December 1, 2013

Hunger Games Catching Fire


Hunger Games was for me the greatest discovery of 2012 – I went to see the movie because that was the only decent choice at that moment and I ended up being totally in love with the whole story. Plus, Jennifer Lawrence is my favorite actress right now. It was so thrilling, unexpected, superbly acted that it was the first time when the movie turned out better then the book. I can still remember the dialogue between the president Snow and Seneca Crane regarding the reason why the games have a winner.

President Snow: Seneca... why do you think we have a winner?
Seneca Crane: [frowns] What do you mean?
President Snow: I mean, why do we have a winner? I mean, if we just wanted to intimidate the districts, why not round up twenty-four at random and execute them all at one? It would be a lot faster.
[Seneca just stares, confused]
Seneca Crane: Hope?
President Snow: Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear. A little hope is effective. A lot of hope is dangerous. Spark is fine, as long as it's contained.
Seneca Crane: So...?
President Snow: So, contain it.

I think the secret of the franchise’s success and the wide audience appeal was the emotional depth of the characters, it was not just action driven – you know those movies where is all about fighting – but it’s a combination of feeling and exciting action.  
The whole experience excited me so much that I immediately bought all the tree books and didn’t breathe before reading them.
So I’ve been eagerly expecting the second one – though the second book was my least favorite - and it was the highlight of my week. 


On IMDB it has a better rating then the first one, its launch was very successful and the reviews much better. Katniss is as impressive as always, I have started to like Peeta more, but in the second one I have rediscovered two characters – Effie and Cesar – that were amazing. Elizabeth Banks managed, while wearing increasingly absurd outfits, to give Effie more depth. And Stanley Tucci with his plastic perfect white teeth has perfectly played Cesar, a dark but laughter filled character. Overall the atmosphere felt darker and more serious (if that is possible) compared to the first one and again I couldn’t help to think that our society is Panem!
The next book, Mockingjay will be split up into two movies and the only thing I’m afraid of is that they will kill all the tension…But we’ll see next year.

Did you have the chance to watch it?


No comments:

Post a Comment